The Renewable Energy Association (REA) has announced the full list of industry award winners at the tenth annual British Renewable Energy Awards, held last week at The Savoy Hotel in central London.
According to the REA, the awards seek to recognise and celebrate the achievements of companies and individuals who have made a significant difference within the renewable energy industry.
Michael Liebreich was awarded the most prestigious accolade, the British Renewable Energy Judges Award 2015, an award specifically created by the judging panel to recognise outstanding contribution to renewables.
Michael was recognised with the award as a result of his work in setting up Bloomberg’s New Energy Finance, a unique online information source providing serious market intelligence and analysis for the renewable energy sector. Set up at a time when the renewable energy industry was seen as outside the mainstream and was poorly understood by banks or investment funds, Michael helped to ‘normalise’ investment in renewable projects and technologies, and in doing so helped to unleash capital flows into the sector.
Other notable winners included Forever Fuels Ltd who won the British Renewable Energy Company 2015 award and Good Energy who won the British Renewable Energy Leadership 2015 award.
In total, the REA received approximately 200 nominations across the 12 award categories. The judges debated and deliberated as they faced a very tough challenge in choosing winners from the impressive line-up of entries.
Commenting on the awards evening, Minister of State Andrea Leadsom acknowledged the essential role that renewable energy plays in meeting the 2020 targets and shared her excitement in working with the REA’s members in the future to deliver a low-carbon, secure and diverse energy mix that has renewable energy at its heart.
Ms. Leadsom said, “I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate everyone who has been nominated for an award. Winning an award is, of course, the ultimate accolade. But being shortlisted is a huge achievement and one that you should, quite rightly, be very proud of”.
Commenting on the awards, Chief Executive of the Renewable Energy Association, Dr Nina Skorupska said, “It is an absolute delight to announce this year’s Renewable Energy Award winners. It is a real privilege to celebrate the successes in our industry and the many individuals and organisations who make such a valuable and vital contribution.
“As we look to the next 12 months it is clear that this is a crucial time for the sector, whether you work in renewable heat, transport, power or organics. The REA is working hard to fight for the renewable energy corner and I am hopeful and encouraged that we will continue to be part of a growing, vibrant and successful industry that is set up to achieve our 2020 targets, and more beyond”.
The full list of 2015 award winners is:
- BRITISH RENEWABLE ENERGY CHAMPION 2015: Paul Southall – National Trust
- BRITISH RENEWABLE ENERGY COMMUNITY 2015: Peterborough City Council
- BRITISH RENEWABLE ENERGY COMPANY 2015: Forever Fuels Limited
- BRITISH RENEWABLE ENERGY INNOVATION 2015: Future Transport Systems
- BRITISH RENEWABLE ENERGY INSTALLER 2015: Qila Energy
- BRITISH RENEWABLE ENERGY LEADERSHIP 2015: Good Energy
- BRITISH RENEWABLE ENERGY PIONEER 2015: Severn Trent Water
- BRITISH RENEWABLE ENERGY PROJECT 2015: Solarsense UK Ltd for Croyde Eco House
- BRITISH RENEWABLE ENERGY JUDGES AWARD 2015: Michael Liebreich
- BRITISH RENEWABLE ENERGY SKILLS DEVELOPMENT 2015: Sasie Training
- BRITISH RENEWABLE ENERGY FINANCIAL PRODUCT 2015: BELECTRIC UK for Big60Million
- BRITISH RENEWABLE ENERGY SUSTAINABILITY 2015: GENeco (Wessex Water)
Source: Renewable Energy Association